1840's Hughes Cabin
Thomas and Bridget Hughes were Irish immigrants who purchased land in the Oak Creek area in 1836. They built this cabin in the 1840's with a kitchen addition added in the 1920's. Their descendants lived here well into the 1960's with some modern conveniences added along the way.
The cabin was originally located near Lake Michigan on land that is now part of Bender Park. Milwaukee County donated the cabin to the society and it was moved to our museum site in 1978.
Inside there are many artifacts depicting pioneer life including a spinning wheel, a loom, a wood burning stove, a stereo-graph viewer, butter churns, and many other items the early settlers in the area used in their daily lives. The lower bedroom area has been restored complete with a mattress filled with corn husks and even a chamber pot!
The Hughes cabin is one of the oldest buildings still standing in Milwaukee County.